Ema Hossain Design Portfolio

Take a look at my other blog EmaHossainDesign Portfolio to see more about my design work

jewellery making

Over ten years ago I went to jewellery making classes. It was really interesting. We learnt to use saw cutters and solder and also bezel set stones. I found it fiddly and wasn't very good at it and the class was full of some really talented people who made amazing silver jewellery week after week, whilst I struggled to do a couple of pieces over the whole course, which were a ring and a large heart pendant set with gemstones.

This is the first ring I made, in copper, which was the metal we practised on.
The shapes have been cut with the saw

all though it looks random I had chosen shapes with a feng shui meaning

the shapes are hearts, circles, ovals and squares

My interest in jewellery making has been rekindled recently, although I don't have the time to do the silever and metal jewellery classes, nowadays there are so many readily available findings, beads and elastics on the market, that it's much easier to make your own rings, necklaces and bracelets with some basic skills, I am surprised it has taken me so long to have ago.

Here are a couple of rings I made recently with silver coloured findings and miracle beads which are definately my favourite beads, I love the shimmer and jewel colours of these.


They look great and more complicated to make than they actually are. I'm really pleased with the cluster ring as I've seen these in the shops for around £8-12 and think mine with all the findings cost a couple of quid and less than an hour to make.

I also added beads to a charm bracelets although I definately need to add more to make it look more exciting, it's not a bad start.


I think this year family, friends and the kid's school teachers will be getting some homemade jewellery gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment